suddenly it’s december 1st and guess who hasn’t started her christmas knitting??
not that this is any different than any other year—i am perennially late getting into the mood. i think i might be addicted to racing to the finish, in fact. which is why i love quick knits for gifts. and if said quick knit is also universally cute for guys, kids, and women . . . AND raises money for a great cause like our red scarf scholarship fund, well, sign me up.
kate atherley‘s mayberry cap, designed especially for our 2017 fundraiser ticks every one of those boxes and more, plus it’s fun to knit—how can we not love it? kristy glass just gave us a nice shoutout on her youTube channel with a fundraiser plug featuring this cap—you should take a look (i’ll wait).
and for those who found us through kristy or jillian this month and are new to our community, please click here to read all the details about our annual fundraiser and a little bit about jelissa, our current recipient, soon-to-be a graduate of FIT NYC. the beauty of this fundraiser is that we build it as a whole community, one small purchase at a time and together, we make a huge impact for an aspiring student.
remember, 100% of the purchase price of this pattern will go into our scholarship fund!! you can even add a few bucks to that amount if you like; more on that in a bit.
anyway, back to the hat—this cap works up in no time from just one skein of our festivus 4.0 worsted weight yarn. knit in the round, the fabric is super stretchy in two by two rib that is pleasantly interrupted up by a fun-to-work cable detail. the pattern includes three sizes—this design is a great candidate for that “insurance” pile; the place where you squirrel away a few extra unisex gifts for last minute giving.
and if you prefer a lighter cap with a bit of drape, i bet you could knit one in festivus 4.0 sport as well, using smaller needles and working one size up from your usual. i might try that option next; if i do, i’ll report on it later.
ellen started a festivus KAL in our ravelry group—please join us to knit along on kate’s hat or any of our 2017 scholarship fundraiser projects (see below)!
everyone’s knits look so festive in festivus 4.0 worsted! cranberry crush just screams HOLIDAY, but then works far beyond that to cheer us up through the coldest days of winter; it’s one of those reds that goes with everything. and the yarn—this springy, cushy, soft worsted weight is just what you want for a knitted cap or mittens—so responsive in this kind of fabric, you won’t want to put it down. it’s a delight to knit with and even better to wear.
we have a couple of kate’s caps started around the shop—ellen is knitting hers in festivus 4.0 worsted (above) and i’m knitting mine in kent worsted, a great option. the only problem with mine is that it’s SO squishy i’m stopping too often to get a hug from it.
and one of my ambitious knitting students, hilary, is working on a field and shore blanket in it—to die for. she even talked her sister into a KAL.
now, you’re probably wondering how to get hold of the pattern, right?? there are so many options!
just click here to purchase in our online shop; with this option you can also add a few buck to the pattern price to add to the fundraiser AND we’ll be happy to send you a copy for your ravelry library if you leave a note at checkout.
OR, click here to purchase a mayberry cap kit, complete with yarn and pattern (again, we’ll be happy to put the pattern in your rav library). the kit makes a great gift for another knitter as well, even a beginner!
OR, purchase the pattern on ravelry by clicking here; you won’t be able to make an additional contribution with the option, but we still appreciate each and every purchase. Patterns also make great gifts for knitters!
i am so very grateful to our partner designers who joined me in creating designs to our scholarship effort this year; BIG hugs to kate atherley, mary o’shea, and kerri blumer for their contributions. keep an eye out on monday or tuesday for the release of my own design; it’s coming!
speaking of our partner designers, here are a few other options for holiday gift knitting that are designed especially for using our festivus 4.0 yarn. you can find kits for all of these designs in the FESTIVUS section of our online shop. and while you’re there, take a moment to browse past festivus designs for more quick knit gift ideas.
keri blumer started the rollout of our 2017 pattern train with her andiron cowl and andiron scarf designs available for the ENTIRE fundraising period (we only asked for a month of sales, but she’s extending it!); she’s just awesome and she has lots of beautiful designs to share—be sure to check out her ravelry shop.
first up, if you live in a very cold climate and need to be outside frequently, these gorgeous cranberry trellis mittens might be right up your alley.
now, let’s talk about goals . . . with one month to go, doug tells me that the total is $3779.85—we are getting there! our goal this year is to reach or exceed $6,000.00—after all, college costs are constantly rising. please help us get there; your $7 purchase is one more (important) brick in the foundation!
if you are fired up and feel passionate after reading the fundraiser details, here are some small things you can do to help:
- purchase any of our 2017 red scarf fundraiser patterns here, here, here, and here, and/or add an extra donation on our website—use the pulldown menu to increase your gift and we will donate the entire pattern price PLUS that extra amount. we are happy to add the pattern to your rav library if you let us know!! (but we have to do it manually, so please tell us)
- purchase a pattern on ravelry here, here, here, here, and here—the entire retail pattern price will go into the scholarship fund.
- purchase a 2017 festivus kit which includes the pattern PLUS enough special edition festivus 4.0, to knit a scarf or cowl. we will add 5% of your yarn purchase price to the fund.
- buy one or more skeins of festivus 4.0 for any project and we will add 5% of your purchase price to the fund.
- please, please, PLEASE tell everyone you know about the fundraiser—they don’t need to be a knitter to throw $7 (or more!!) at this wonderful cause. please mention it with a link in your favorite ravelry groups, a link and hashtag on your Instagram, Facebook page (and link it), tweet it (with a link!), pin it (yes, with link) and finally just drag your friends over to look at the blog, haha. we’ll even give them a “knit naked sticker badge” if it helps them to help out.
- join us for a fun red scarf KAL in our ravelry mothership—we promise a rollicking good time, plenty of support, and of course, neat-o prizes.
and from the bottom of our hearts, thank you for all that you do to make this happen each year!