And if you look closely at them, you will see how extraordinary
they are both in colour and texture and that in their centre is
a kind of golden light that shines from within.
At the end of the day, they turn a most beautiful shade of lavender,
and then close up, wither and die. They live for only one day
and then they are gone.
from The Lesson of the Morning Glory! © Copyright 1998 by Veronica M. Hay
- pattern price: $7.00 US (ohio residents, please add $.42 sales tax)
- payment method: please visit our pattern shop!
- Suggested Yarns: Briar Rose Wistful or Earthsong, Fearless Fibers DK/Sport Cashmere, Mohair/Wool DK, or Alpaca/Wool DK, Nashua Handknits Sublime DK, Indieceta Baby Alpaca DK, Mountain Colors Weavers’s Wool, Alpaca Yarn Company handpainted DK yarn or any soft DK yarn which has approximately 500 yards to 8 ounces.
- Notes: This rectangular wrap is begun at the hem and worked to the center back.
Stole may be shortened to wrap length by working fewer repeats in the morning glories section but taking care to end on the same row as the pattern instructs.
Using smaller needles and finer yarn will also produce a smaller piece.
Sample gained approximately 30% in length and width when blocked.
- Finished Size: pre-blocked: shorter: 18�? W x 60�? L / longer: 18�?W x 68�? L
blocked dimensions: 24�? W x 78�? L / 24�? W x 90�? L
- Yarn requirements: approximately 700 (850) yards of soft DK weight yarn for shorter(longer) wrap
- Gauge: 16 sts and 24 rows = 4�? in stockinette stitch (preblocked; fabric will be loosely knit)
- Needles: 5.5 mm needle (US size 9); a needle with a slender, tapered point is highly recommended
patterns will be emailed in PDF format once payment is confirmed or eCheck has cleared; please contact patternsATknitspotDOTcom for information about wholesale orders, or payment without a paypal account.
many, MANY thanks to PumpkinMama and to kim for their efforts in test-knitting this piece!
UPDATES (all patterns purchased after the date listed will include corrections)
4/20/07: page 3, in the chart for the hem edging, row 12 (WS), stitch #12 should be NO STITCH; there should be p3 before the marker, not p4. written instructions on page 2 are correct.
4/24/07: page 4 in the 4-row finishing for the mesh section, row 2 at the end, the butterfly edging should read: R2: k3, p1, k4, yo, k2tog, SM, k50, SM, k2, yo, k2tog, k2, yo twice, k2tog, k1. the chart is already correct