oh man! i meant to get this post written SO much earlier today—then i decided to wait til i had pictures of something special all set. once that was done, i thought “i’ll just lie down for a quick nap before i write to clear my head”. that was at 6pm.
i didn’t know it would turn into Nap of the Century—i just woke up a half hour ago (it’s nearly midnight).
oh well. so lemme ask you—what goes really good with bubbly??
yup, it’s done—can you believe it? i almost can’t—only because i knit it myself do i understand that this piece is finally finished.
i even blocked it.
i know you love blocking shots, so that’s why i waited to write the post.
it took quite a bit of time to block—not only did i have to get the edges all straight, but i had to fiddle with all the inner lines to get them to lie straight too (they got a little distorted in the wash).
it was totally worth spending all that time fidddling.
but some day—SOME day—i will learn; some day i will actually order some blocking wires.
here’s a detail shot (though it’s hard to get a close-up and still have all the elements showing . . .).
i think i used every single one of the 500 or so yellow-headed pins i have.
i made the points on one end be the opposite of the points on the other end. not sure how this will pan out; i’ll make my final judgement after looking at the modeling shots (forthcoming, once it’s unpinned) but it could also be worked so that they all face the same way. i had this idea that they should oppose each other, but it could backfire and just look weird!
i keep walking back into the living room to look at it; it blocked out so well. i was a little nervous that the edging and the body would not block out nicely together—i dunno why. i should know better. but there you have it. we all get nervous that the final stages of our creations will yield disaster. of course, it doesn’t help that lace isn’t lace until the absolute, very last step.
according to my sophisticated system of filing and note-taking
i used 8 ounces of vintage beehive scotch wool fingering yarn—about 1400 yards. this yielded a stole that is 24 inches wide and 96 inches long. instructions for a more petite length will be included in the pattern, which i am hoping to have done soon.
and so now, off to the drawing board to see about that.