all i can think of are bad puns about love triangles and how right they feel.
but i’m sure Pythagorus was completely above all that.
you know, in theory.
Math Whiz Sock
shown here: size M, in Cherry Tree Hill Supersock
- pattern price: $5.00 US (ohio residents, please add $.30 sales tax)
- payment method: please visit our pattern shop!
- Suggested Yarns: Briar Rose Grandma’s Blessing, Fearless Fiber’s Classic Merino Sock yarn, Koigu KPM, Fleece Artist Merino Sock, Socks that Rock, Lorna’s Laces Shepard Sock, GGH Merino Soft, Cherry Tree Hill Supersock, or any sock yarn which has 375 to 425 yards to 4 ounces.
- Notes: These socks in four sizes have a cuff worked in Pythagorean Pattern which extends down over the top of the foot. Comprised of a simple arrangement of knits and purls, the pattern yields a deep, cushy texture bursting with right-triangle goodness!
They are easily converted to toe-up construction, as the pattern is vertically reversible.
- Finished Size:S(M, L, XL), to fit feet measuring 5-6(6-7.5, 7.5-9, 9-10.5)�?
finished sock measurements = 5(6.75, 8.5, 10.25) inches
- Yarn requirements: 300(350, 400) yds of sock yarn which has 500 yds
per 4 ounces note: heavier sock yarn may be used—sock will be slightly larger at a gauge of 8 to 8.5 sts per inch; go to next size down if your yarn knits up at a gauge of 7 to 7.5 sts per inch.
- Gauge: 28 sts and 40 rows = 4�? in stockinette on smaller needles
- Needles: DPNs sizes 2 and 3, or size to obtain gauge on smaller needles
Use of the larger needles is optional—they are used in the upper cuff to provide an increase for the calf, which may not be needed for all sock wearers.
patterns will be emailed in PDF format once payment is confirmed or eCheck has cleared; please contact us for information about wholesale orders
shown here: size M, in handspun blue-faced leicester
06/08/07: at the top edge, where the instructions say Begin Pythagorean Pattern (see page 4 for charted pattern)
the note that follows should NOT be in the pattern at all; please disregard.
note: stitch count is increased on rnd 1 and stays at that number through rnd 3, decreasing back to original cast-on number for rnds 4 through 6)
I’ll tell you what, the yarn and pattern are both just beautiful!
I love what the triangles do for the variegated yarns. I have many possibilities in the stash!