—for all beekeepers, who live by the seasons with their bees
The beating of small wings,
thousands fanning together,
a whirlwind of silky air
is the music playing in your ears,
your hearts and souls,
The miracle of something as simple,
as complex as honey,
A sweet reminder that we are just human,
and some things are still beyond our understanding.
—from Nectar Flow, by Kirsten Shoshanna Traynor, 2003
Bee Fields Shawl
shown here in Wooly Wonka Fibers custom-dyed laceweight merino, colorway,
Tupelo Gold. kit available starting sunday, july 15
this project was knit on needles crafted by ed and wanda jenkins
- pattern price: $8.00US (ohio residents please add $.48 sales tax)
- payment method: please visit our pattern shop!
- Suggested Yarns: Wooly Wonka Fibers merino laceweight, Fearless Fibers merino laceweight or cashmere laceweight, Knitting Notions merino laceweight, Briar Rose Sea Pearl, Handmaiden Mini Maiden or 2-ply silk/cashmere, Jaggerspun Zephyr, or any laceweight yarn having 160 to 190 yards per ounce.
- Notes: A triangle shawl in two sizes featuring multiple stitch patterns. The triangle is worked from the neck edge outward; the top edge is self-trimmed. Using thinner or heavier yarn than suggested, and different needles will produce a variation in size that remains proportionate with the original dimensions—use petite size for heavier yarns.
- unblocked dimensions: (approx): petite = 26�?L at center point and 60 “W across top edge
tall = 28�?L at center point and 65 “W across top edge
blocked dimensions: petite = 31�?L at center point and 72 “W across top edge
tall = 35�?L at center point and 78 “W across top edge
- yarn requirements: petite = 900 yds of laceweight yarn / tall = 1100 yds of laceweight yarn
- Gauge: unblocked: 26 sts and 36 rows = 4�? in stockinette. (fabric will be relaxed)
- Needles: size 5US (3.75mm) 24�? circular and 32�? circular
needles designed for lace knitting, with very tapered points are highly recommended
DPN needles in same size for grafting edges are helpful, but optional
patterns will be emailed in PDF format once payment is confirmed or eCheck has cleared; please contact patternsATknitspotDOTcom for information about wholesale orders, or payment without a paypal account.
a HUGE thank-you to anne, who took an idea from my head and made the color of summer for me, and to vanessa and lilith who watched my back, nitpicked the pattern, and created beautiful proofs that it works. my good friend kris (blogless), who plays the harp, dances, and graciously models the piece with delight. thanks too, to debbie in maine (blogless), who always sends me beautiful poems for these pieces that say just the right thing.
UPDATES patterns will include all corrections up to the date of pattern purchase
in the set-up section, row 2 does not have a beginning bracket. row 2 should read:
R2 (RS): BO2, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k2, yo, k2tog, SM, [yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, SM], k1, repeat between brackets, k2, yo, k2tog, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k1, CO2